Insight for Deployment from the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali

 Written 8/9/2020

My husband has now been on deployment for one month which does not seem monumental at all because it is not the longest he has ever been gone throughout his time in the US Air Force.  One day I will be able to say, "I have now been without my spouse longer than I ever have."  Although, I am not sure this is something to celebrate.  Even with just a month gone, I can feel the frantic pace of my life without him.  I often find myself out of balance.  I sacrifice most of my time for my yoga and my children and end up working on other things into the late hours of the night.  But the yoga I am doing is not for myself, it is for my clients.  This does give me satisfaction as I enjoy the creativity and service I feel when I teach, but I find myself wanting solace for my own soul through my yoga practice.  I decided to go back to the book, to find some insight from the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali.  

When people hear the word yoga, they think of physical movements to stretch muscles and reduce stress.  The physical movements and designed to facilitate the real practice of yoga and gain mastery over the mind.  The Yoga Sutras is the text that explains the philosophy behind the eight limbs of yoga.  Truth be told, I have not thoroughly read the Sutras since my yoga training in 2013.  It was definitely time to come back into balance.  These are the sutras that mean the most to me at this time.

Book 1, #2. "The restraint of the modifications of the mind-stuff is yoga." If I can quiet my mind, I will find my yoga.  All of the yoga sutras point to this one statement.  I find this easier said than done.  Have you ever gone to the mat for a few moments and then quickly gave up because of the over-workings of the mind?  I have.  This is why we have to practice yoga over and over and over.  Practice is never complete, it is a journey.

Book 1, #14. "Practice becomes firmly grounded when well attended to for a long time, without break and in all earnestness." This is one of my favorites.  I love the idea that we can gain our goals if we persist.  And this is how deployment feels to me- one step at a time, day after day, without any stop, earnest endeavor. 

Book 1, #19. "Those who merely leave their physical bodies and get merged in Nature, have rebirth."  During this time of COVID-19 social isolation, I have been rejuvenated many times by nature.  I enjoy walking in the fields by home daily.

 Book 1, #34. "Calm is retained by the controlled exhalation and or retention of the breath."  How many times do I talk to a student(s) about the benefits of breath in one day?  Do I ever listen to my own advice when I feel frantic?  Sometimes!  I am still learning I suppose.

Book 1, #39. "By meditating on anything one chooses that is elevating."  I classify my mediation in many different ways.  I feel elevated when I read my religious text, the Book of Mormon daily.  I feel elevated when I escape in a good book or movie.  I feel elevated when I lay on the floor with my Calm app on and enter a meditative sleep.  These are the rewards in my too busy days.

Book 2, #16. "Pain that has not yet come is avoidable."  When I feel really stressed, I start worrying about how I will be able to keep up the pace the next day, the next week, the next month.  That is too much pain for my mind.  It is better to just get through the day, one day at a time.

Book 2, #33.  "When disturbed by negative thoughts, opposite ones (positive) ones should be thought of."  I find that I set the tone for my kids.  If I am positive, they are likely to be as well.

Book 2, #42. "By contentment, supreme joy is obtained."  I find joy when I stop and relish in my present and put off thoughts of my unchangeable past of my unknown future.  In my present is joy.

Book 2, #44. "By study of spiritual books comes communion with one's chosen deity."  I find much comfort through my sacred book, The Book of Mormon.  I pray daily to my Heavenly Father for strength and comfort, that I will be enough for my kids, and for the safety of my husband.

Are you in preparing for a deployment or in the midst of one?  Get my Top 10 List for Surviving Deployment here! https://www.yogatraveler.net/top-10-tips-to-survive-deployment

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yoga changed my life

What I Didn't Know about My Husband's Return

Top 10 Tips for Surviving Deployment