Ashtanga Primary Series Standing Asanas

 The Standing Sequence

"Seeking the Balance"

The standing sequence of the Ashtanga Primary Series  initiates weaving of one asana into the next form which K. Parrabhi Jois called "a garland of asanas."  Think of this as a sandwich; our first piece of bread is Surya Namaskara, the peanut butter is the standing sequence, the jelly is the seated sequence, and the last piece of bread the finishing sequence.  

In the standing sequence we challenge our balance and learn to understand how the forces of gravity work on our body.  In all the asanas there is an "equality of opposition where we find the greatest sense of stability and comfort." (David Swenson)  We equally root to the ground and energize upward.  Our feet establish our base and we root them deep.  From there, we can grow and expand to lengthen and lift through each asana.  Practice the asanas along with me:

https://youtu.be/CTm0xeq0IVE

The practice of yoga is a place to explore the balance in all areas of our life.  Balance is not just the ability to stay standing.  It is self awareness of where our life needs focus and structure.  Yoga can help us to create balance in a physical plane which we can then expand to our mental scope.  In my life, I am constantly trying to balance my yoga teaching and practice, my family life with my kids and husband, my household chores, and my duties to God.  Some days I do better than others.  I do know that I can always return to my my mat to renew my sense of balance.  Let me know how you feel balance, both through yoga and beyond.

Get started the right way with Yoga! Download for FREE “Top 10 List for Yoga Beginners.” Link https://yogatraveler.net/top-10-list-for-yoga-newbies

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yoga changed my life

Top 10 Tips for Surviving Deployment

Insight for Deployment from the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali