Meditation

Meditation...Let me admit something to you.  I am not great at meditating.  Most of the time, my meditation involves lying on the floor with a Mexican blanket on top of me, my Calm app talking to me, as I promptly fall asleep for ten minutes.   I know that this is not what I am supposed to do in meditation, but most days lately that is what my body needs.  And I always feel better when I am done.  There was a period of time when I got pretty good at sitting without falling asleep.  I was teaching a 200 Hour Yoga Alliance Teaching Training program and I regularly meditated between 10-30 min a day.  I felt the benefits, I craved the silence, and I need the mental break.  But now I am in a different place in my life and my meditation has evolved into "active rest."  

Yoga is a practice.  We practice the principles as we move through our life, through the ebbs and flows that we have.  Meditation makes up one of the eight limbs of yoga (dhyana) and so is part of a yogic lifestyle.  Meditation has been found to help us gain a different perspective on stressful situations, increase self-awareness, and help us focus on the present.  All of these things are essential as we move through an ever changing and often stressful world.

When I started meditation, I needed a bit of guide.  As I said, I enjoy the Calm app.  I especially like the sleep sounds to quiet my monkey mind at night.  It puts me right to sleep!! If you are new to mediation, try some of these techniques that work well for me:

1. Count your breathing- Set a timer for 5-10 min.  Sit straight up in chair or on the ground. To keep your mind focused on what you are doing, count your breaths.  Count how long it takes you to inhale and exhale. If your mind wanders, bring it back to the breath.

2. Repeat a mantra- I like to say something that makes me feel empowered like, "I am strong, I am brave, I am powerful."  Saying this over and over and connecting it to your breath, will help you to stay present.

3. Send thoughts out to others- I like to spend my time in meditation thinking of others.  Like a prayer or sending positivity to the universe, I like to think of those that need a little extra love or encouragement.  This is like Karma Yoga from the Bhagavad Gita, the principles of "after you," and "what can I give."

My sweet sister-in-law gave me the book, Practicing Mindfulness: 75 Essential Meditations by Matthew Sockolov.  I enjoy it but often want someone to guide me through the meditations, like the Calm app does.  So, I will share one with you!  Just click the link and push play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4thh0-cz9M&t=2s

Get started the right way with Yoga! Download for FREE “Top 10 List for Yoga Beginners.” Link https://yogatraveler.net/top-10-list-for-yoga-newbies

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yoga changed my life

What I Didn't Know about My Husband's Return

Top 10 Tips for Surviving Deployment