Yoga changed my life

I have always been a physical person.  I grew up dancing ballet and continued to teach ballet until I had my second child.  I participated in heavy hitting cardio classes until I was 39 weeks pregnant with my third child.  Then I had that third child:


My family in 2011: Me and Pants, Bear 5 yrs, Bub 2 1/2 yrs, and Josh
You see that happy looking family?  What is really going on with the sweet mom there? I always struggled a bit with postpartum depression and my third pregnancy rocked me.  Since Josh and I were outnumbered, I felt that I had to stop doing anything for "me." I felt guilty for giving more attention to the baby than my other kids and I became angry and resentful.  I cried every night as the sun set.  After 10 months of these feelings, Josh finally said, "You need to get some exercise."  I remember looking at him like, "how is that even an option?"  I felt that I needed permission to take care of myself.  I could not fathom dragging myself out of bed for the 5:00am cardio classes that I was taking before. My local gym had an 8:30pm yoga class and maybe I could feed Pants, put Bub and Bear to bed, and leave everyone with Josh.  The class time checked all my mommy duty boxes. 

I went to that class.  I did not own a yoga mat and had no intention of getting of one because I did not want to invest money into something that would not last.  So I sat on the bare floor in the back of the room and we breathed.  It felt like the first time I had taken a breath in 10 months.  We started to move (a vinyasa style class) and I felt my muscles come alive again.  With the breath connected to the movement, I felt both calmed and powerful at the same time.  I felt the control and flexibility of the ballet I loved, and the vinyasa movement took me out of my head.  It was an amazing experience and I wondered why I had never taken the opportunity to try yoga.  Do you think I bought a yoga mat?  Indeed I did!  Many in fact!

I practiced consistently for a year.  In my home life, my outlook was completely changed.  I no longer felt guilty for my outlet because I knew that I was a better mother and wife when I returned from my calming and stimulating yoga.  You cannot help others if your cup is empty.  My husband's life was in turmoil however. He was working for a company that was quickly going under and my husband was going down with the ship. Josh started the application for the US Air Force and I looked for ways that I could help support the family finances from our home.  Since I was not a stranger to teaching, I looked into 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training program.  This seemed a good fit because if my husband did get accepted into the military, we would be moving and yoga is something I could teach anywhere.  The training was excellent and I started teaching a group of wonderful neighbors in my home.  Then Josh was accepted into the US Air Force and I became "Yoga Traveler." 

Yoga in Las Vegas, NV

Yoga in Misawa, Japan

Yoga in Enid, OK
Do you have a yoga story?  How has yoga changed your life?

Get started the right way with Yoga! Download for FREE “Top 10 List for Yoga Beginners.” Link https://yogatraveler.net/top-10-list-for-yoga-newbies


Comments

  1. beautiful story, thanks for telling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read! I wish you well in your yoga journey.

      Delete
  2. Ah, that first picture, made me cry. I miss you friend and I'm so grateful I got to be one of those first neighbors! I fell in love after watching you at one of your talent shows in the backyard and then supporting you while teaching, which ended up being a great blessing to me instead! Even though I only do it on occasion now, like when I stand up from the floor or while helping the kids with school, rarely a whole session, I'm grateful for it and you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Maggie! How I treasure my time in Springville and in "Studio 10." You first group of loyal yogi's were essential to me! You helped me find my voice and launched me on my way. I am so glad that you still practice yoga, even in just mindfully standing up. You are the best!

      Delete
  3. Abby, you made me love yoga! You are the best yoga instructor I have ever had and being in your yoga class in Misawa, Japan, was a great experience. I love that you use essential oils in your classes; too. Talk about feeling wonderful and calm after being in one of your classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Teaching yoga is one of my favorite things and the Misawa yogi's will always have a special place in my heart. Keep on your yoga journey!

      Delete
  4. I miss your yoga classes! I'm so glad for this blog and any online instruction you do, though I agree I loved the essential oils ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I wish we could share essential oils online! Technology can do a lot, but not quite all. Thanks for following me on this yoga journey.

      Delete
  5. My yoga story started with my 11-year-old daughter going to your 6 am classes! Although I didn't get to attend those because of all my other littles at home and Chad leaving early in the morning, it inspired and intrigued me. When we moved to Cache Valley I finally got to start doing yoga classes with Avery and I've been doing it for 4 years now and love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! I will always think fondly of Avery in my classes. Her bendiness used to make all the ladies jealous, he he! I am so glad that you are doing yoga too. Best to both of you in your yoga journey!

      Delete
  6. I love hearing your story. It's inspiring. I'm grateful that I had a few moments of yoga with you in Japan! It helped me make working out and exercise more a part of my life, since it was non-existent before. Now I love adding barre, Pilates, and High Fitness to yoga and that pretty much sums up my current efforts to stay fit and healthy and happy! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to hear that you choose to do the things that bring you joy and fulfillment. That is what it is all about!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Tips for Surviving Deployment

Insight for Deployment from the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali